Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Review: Nimona

Nimona
★★

Synopsis:

The graphic novel debut from rising star Noelle Stevenson, based on her beloved and critically acclaimed web comic, which Slate awarded its Cartoonist Studio Prize, calling it "a deadpan epic."

Nemeses! Dragons! Science! Symbolism! All these and more await in this brilliantly subversive, sharply irreverent epic from Noelle Stevenson. Featuring an exclusive epilogue not seen in the web comic, along with bonus conceptual sketches and revised pages throughout, this gorgeous full-color graphic novel is perfect for the legions of fans of the web comic and is sure to win Noelle many new ones.

Nimona is an impulsive young shapeshifter with a knack for villainy. Lord Ballister Blackheart is a villain with a vendetta. As sidekick and supervillain, Nimona and Lord Blackheart are about to wreak some serious havoc. Their mission: prove to the kingdom that Sir Ambrosius Goldenloin and his buddies at the Institution of Law Enforcement and Heroics aren't the heroes everyone thinks they are.

But as small acts of mischief escalate into a vicious battle, Lord Blackheart realizes that Nimona's powers are as murky and mysterious as her past. And her unpredictable wild side might be more dangerous than he is willing to admit.

My Review:

Oh my gaaaawd, I adored this book. If I'm going to be completely honest, it actually didn't grab me right away. I found Nimona to be a bit annoying at first, I wasn't sure where the story was going...and there was something about her hair that resembles the nails-on-chalkboard cringe-factor for me. Gaaahaha...

But then as I got through more and more chapters, I just fell in love. This books is soooo random and funny and cheesy (in a good way) and I just loved it. I love the antihero-ness that is Lord Blackheart, like he is just the best kind of villain. And Sir Goldenloin?

Goldenloin.

*giggles like a schoolgirl*

I loved the merging of both this medieval type setting with machines and magical beasts and sci-fi like government control. It was just so fricking random!

It's hilarious how the villain is running around, trying to keep his new sidekick from killing everyone.

I love Nimona's shapeshifting  moments and her constant nagging on her boss.

What else can I say?

I liked how this ended, but I can't really say much about it without giving things away. Basically, it's just too good that I can't explain it and there's not really much of anything I can complain about.

I also loved the "tragic" backstory of Lord Blackheart and how he came to be the "villain" of our tale. Basically, I love anything to do with his and Sir Goldenloin's past.

Goldenloin.

*giggles*

Suggested Reading Level: Young Adult



4 comments:

  1. Hah this one sounds like it's a lot of fun, I like the style of the illustrations but I think the text would bug me, I find it oddly difficult to read handwriting sometimes :(

    - Wattle @ Whimsical Nature

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, this one was pretty entertaining. :) The text didn't bother me so much after awhile, but I understand how it might be difficult.

      Delete
  2. Nimona is life! So glad you loved it. I'm really hoping for a sequel!
    I bought Lumberjanes recently. I need to read it this weekend. I absolutely love Noelle Stevenson's artwork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! :D
      Haven't read that one yet. I'll have to look into it. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...