Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday I


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by 

October 15: Top Ten Books I Was "Forced" to Read (either by teachers, friends, other bloggers, book club) -- doesn't necessarily have to be a BAD thing. Could be required reading, yes, but also book club, or just super enthusiastic friends "making" you read something! 

While I will not include textbooks, most books I read in high school I was given a choice on what to pick...still, I had to pick something from a list. My family used to listen to audiobooks a lot and many of them I just wanted to end. Some I read for the DAC last year and so I was the one that pretty much forced myself to read... At one point there were various Shelfari Book of the Month groups I was involved in. There are probably more I've forgotten to mention, but these following books were the most prevalent, and generally ones that I did not enjoy. *note: a majority of these I actually gave ☆ on Shelfari but I've changed that since it no longer feels accurate. Just because I gave them ☆ doesn't mean they were awful...I, personally, just didn't enjoy them...



10: Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard: Aug 2012  
I pretty much forced myself to read this last year for the DAC (Debut Author Challenge). I really didn't enjoy it at all. It was steampunk so I had high hopes for it, but the writing, the plot, and the characters didn't meet my expectations.


9: Ripper by Amy Carol Reeves: May 2012  
I also read this last year for the DAC. I also did not enjoy it as much as I would have liked. I like this time period and I was interested in reading another take on Jack the Ripper. But it was short, and felt rushed, and I really never got into it.


8: Vanishing Game by Kate Kae Myers: April 2012  
Again, another book for the DAC. I guess I didn't have much luck last year...though, to be fair, there were a few debut author's books last year that I did enjoy. This one, though, felt a little bit dry. I really didn't expect the psychological plot twist ending, so there's that...but it wasn't even hinted at. It wasn't an awful book, just...okay.


7: Theodore Boone: Kid Lawyer by John Grisham: Jan 2012  
This book my family decided to listen to the audio. To be fair, this was juvenile, and there aren't very many that can still keep my interest. True, I love children's fiction, but I just didn't like Grisham's approach or the straight forward plot. I might have liked it more if it wasn't obvious who the bad guy was, if there was back and forth plot twists, a little bit less lawyer mumbo jumbo. It might also have been the genre that I didn't enjoy, or the narration.


6: Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins: June 2011  
I read this for a Book of the Month group, and it really isn't something I would generally pick up on my own. I mean, the title alone is like...no. There were parts that were interesting, like all the info on France, for example...but I wasn't really interested as much in the characters or their relationships, and all the angsty drama...


5: The Mermaid's Mirror by L.K. Madigan: May 2011  
I also read this for a Book of the Month, and yet again, it wasn't really something I would pick up on my own. The plot felt a little bit lacking and I guess it just wasn't really my thing...


4: Pay the Piper by Jane Yolen and Adam Stemple: April 2011  
I read this along with a friend for a Book of the Month. I don't even remember who picked it or why, but...it was interesting. Just very short, not too much depth to it. Seeing as how I can't remember much about it except that the Piper was a modern day rock star, it didn't really stick...


3: A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'engle: Oct 2010  
I was forced to listen to this and I hated it. I absolutely hated it. It was unbearable. If there was only one book I loathed, this would be it. I don't know if it was just the narration, but the plot just dragged on and on and didn't interest me in the slightest.


2: Child of the Dark Prophecy by T.A. Barron: June 2010  
I decided to study the Middle Ages during my senior year, and I read alot of King Arthur type legends during that time. I can't remember how much this particular book was related to this, but not by much. I don't recall much of the plot, except that I wasn't really compelled by his writing style...


1: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain: Dec 2009  
I read this my senior year of high school. Being homeschooled, I was able to pick my literature and I had always wanted to read about Tom Swayer and Huckleberry Finn. I really wanted to like it, too, but it was a struggle. I believe in the end I tried just listening to it instead of slowly trudging my way through it. It's a good story, it's just the vocabulary was tough...

Darkitty

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...