Saturday, April 28, 2012

Mushishi: Volumes 1~10 (completed)



Author: Yuki Urushibara
Summary: THEY HAVE EXISTED SINCE THE DAWN OF TIME. Some live in the deep darkness behind your eyelids. Some eat silence. Some thoughtlessly kill. Some simply drive men mad. Shortly after life emerged from the primordial ooze, these deadly creatures, mushi, came into terrifying being. And they still exist and wreak havoc in the world today. Ginko, a young man with a sardonic smile, has the knowledge and skill to save those plagued by mushi . . . perhaps.
My Review: This is one of those more simple manga series and I loved it for that. There was never anything nasty or inappropriate. The story was simple and easy to follow along with, the characters and circumstances they constantly found themselves in strange, but interesting. The art style wasn’t too complex but it wasn’t terrible either, and after a few volumes I didn’t find it hard to boost it to four stars. It was a manga series that would probably never be that popular, but that’s what I liked about it. The simplicity.
These strange entities, the mushi, are what plague this manga’s world as the antagonists. Ginko, a mushishi, is able to spot and usually save the people tortured by these little creatures. Usually...
Art: I have to say, the art was rather simple, but it was also rather unusual. I guess original is the best term for it here. It wasn’t sharp nor was it extremely rough. The texture had a gentle feel to it, very nice to look at, nothing extraordinary. But it’s that simplicity that makes it stand out so well.
Characters: We truly only follow along as Ginko wanders through his world, unable to stay in one place for very long. While he does have a select few people he comes into contact with more than once, he really only ever stays long enough for a misadventure and then off he goes again. With each chapter it’s own story, the set up itself reminded me of The Nightmare Inspector, with all it’s strangeness and plot hopping.
Plot: The plot was easy enough to follow along after since it's such a simple story. No kick-a** battle scenes, nothing disturbing or gruesome. I liked that. Now for those who need more action, I can expect a few yawns, but this was a nice break for me in my manga reading, hence I enjoyed it alot more than most people probably would. Either way, I found it interesting.
Disclaimers: While it has been some time since I first picked up the first volume, I can recall barely anything to disclaim about in all 10 volumes. If there was profanity, I hardly even noticed. If there was violence, there wasn’t much blood and gore. There wasn’t any sensual material to worry about so it’s a perfect manga for younger readers. Though the plot isn’t too complex, sometimes their conversations may drag on and bore those with small attention spans.
Favorite Character: Ginko
Favorite Quote: N/A
Recommended: Young teens & up
Over-all Rating: ★★★★☆
~ Darkitty
***Next ~ Chi’s Sweet Home: volumes 1~8 (ongoing)***



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...