Tuesday, May 29, 2012

DAC Bonus ~ January: Everneath



Author: Brodi Ashton
Summary: Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she's returned - to her old life, her family, her friends - before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever.
She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.
Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there's a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back - this time as his queen.
My Review: I don't generally select books with premises like these, but I must say since it was one of those rare occasions where I selected the book and didn't have a million people gushing about how good or bad it was, I was able to make a fair assessment of it on my own. And the truth is, I really did enjoy it. It's surprises like these that make the reading experience so much fun for me.
Characters: It is one of those lighter books, so there isn't alot of character build up. They do have depth, maybe not as much as they could have, but still enough to make you want to keep reading. Usually with books that sometimes revolve (or just include) the high school experience, I can find a bit dull or repetitive. Ashton did a nice job I think of not making it too monotonous or the center focus of the plot. Her characters were fun and I do look forward to the sequel.
Plot: It was interesting how she related the modern day elements of the plot and the fay part thrown together, not too messy and boringly like some books seem to do nowadays. It was just a perfect, subtle mix of reality and fantasy. A times I guess it could be just a biiit predictable, but not overly so. I mean, if we can't even guess at what's going on, the author isn't taking the right approach to getting the story across.
Disclaimers: I was really happy with this book, since alot of teen novels seem to throw in sex just because..... I liked how the author focused on writing a good story rather than trying to please the reader like that. It makes for a much more comfortable read, and I really wish more authors were like that. There isn’t anything wrong with the minor affections shown, it’s very innocent and tame, and I like it when they never take it any farther than that, because it just takes away from the heart of the story and is a complete distraction. There was just a bit of language and nothing too violent. Minor drunkenness, but it’s very comical actually.
Favorite Character: Oooh... Probably Jack, though I liked Cole, too...just cuz... =P
Favorite Quote: 

"Look, Nik, I know you don't like public scrutiny lately. If you stand off to the side, all mopey and such, without a date, you'll stick out like a nun at a strip club." He leaned in. "Trust me, I've seen one. A nun at a strip club, that is. Everyone was staring at her."

~ Cole
Recommended: Older teens & up
Over-all Rating: ★★★★★
~ Darkitty

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...