Saturday, January 7, 2012

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Author: Ransom Riggs
Summary:
A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. A strange collection of very curious photographs. It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children , an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.
My Review:
I really, really, really liked this book. That doesn’t happen quite often. Not exactly what I was expecting, but still really good! I wouldn’t describe it as a page turner, not really, but it did leave me very hesitant to turn off my light at night. And I also did read through it rather quickly, three days tops. I also found it interesting in that while we know or at least we assume that the main character, Jacob, is not crazy, the psychological elements thrown in were, to me, fascinating.
Characters:
The characters were strange, there’s nothing else to be said. As we get deeper into the story, we find that all these peculiar children Jacob’s grandfather described to him, are, in fact real. The levitating girl, to the invisible boy, to the super strong siblings, to the mysterious Miss Peregrine...
Plot:
I found this book very original, not quite what I was expecting, but I wasn’t at all disappointed, either. It was just nothing like anything else I’ve picked up before. I think I can see why some people might not enjoy it, but I found it intriguing. I raced through it, getting alot of slack jaw from family when I returned it to the library so quickly. It’s starts off, reeling you in bit by bit. While it’s hard to describe without ruining the plot twists, I find that the climax may have been bit, well, confusing, since we’re left feeling like there’s more to be explained. Sequel, maybe? I’m not sure at this point. While the conclusion was over all satisfactory, I do hope to see more from this author in the future.
Art(photography):
Ok, we can all tell that these photos have been manipulated. I read another book quite similar in concept to this, The Fool and the Vanisher, and while I actually love the idea of black and white photos in a fiction, I find books like this rather odd. Odd, in a good way. I mean, there’s a reason there in the fiction section, but sometimes glancing at these bizarre photos is a bit creepy. But over all, I found this part of the book fascinating, even if it is rather strange, or peculiar...
Disclaimers: 
There was language in this book. I wouldn’t say there was a ton, but it was pretty strong. I really hate when an author does that, it dampens the reading experience in my opinion. I can see when it’s called for, occasionally, but everything in moderation. There was also some gory details. Nothing too grotesque, but this isn’t a book I’d recommend for younger readers. There’s one scene where they have to “revive” a corpse, and the guy is really torn apart, disfigured beyond recognition, with lots of lovely description. Nasty.
Favorite Character: Millard
Favorite Quote(s):
I turned to him in amazement. "I don't mean to be rude," I said, "but what are you people?"
"We're peculiar," he replied, sounding a bit puzzled. "Aren't you?"
"I don't know. I don't think so."
"That's a shame."
***
“...Should we sit on our bums and wait for them to come through our front door? What if rather than clever disguises, this time they bring guns?”
“That’s what I'd do,” Enoch said. “Wait till everyone’s asleep and then slide down the chimney like Santa Claus and BLAM!” He fired an imaginary pistol at Emma’s pillow. “Brains on the wall.”
“Thank you for that,” Millard said, sighing.
Recommended: Older teens & up.
Rating: ★★★★★
~ Darkitty
***Next week: The Perks of Being a Wallflower***

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...